The many differences between drinking cold and warm water
I live in the south of Spain and in the summer, it can get boiling, like 40C. When it gets that hot, there is nothing nicer than a big cold drink of water. Our body is made up of 60% water and we cannot survive long without it.
The question is if it is good for you to drink freezing water?. There seems quite a big difference between having an ice-cold drink compared to a warm one. Drinking water that is too cold has some adverse effects on your body, so you better be informed about it.
Some reasons why you should not drink ice cold water
- As the body has a normal temperature of 37 degrees Celsius when you drink a freezing drink, there is a problem. To bring your body back to its normal temperature requires a lot of energy. It takes this away from other bodily functions, such as your need to digest food and absorb its nutrients.
- Those same as a cold draft, extremely cold water might give you a sore throat, because it could cause respiratory mucosa to build up. It also can cause an infection and then you have no voice left. I remember when I was small, I often suffered from this condition. It was painful and I could not eat.
- I suffer from a headache once or twice a year, this being caused by atmospheric low pressure. I did not know that women who had a migraine in the last year have a double chance of getting a headache drinking cold water.
- Most of the time, having a cold drink of water will include added ice cubes. Especially when going on a holiday, one has to be careful about adding ice. Often the water can be contaminated with bacteria and fungus. I have worked many years as a tourist guide, and I used to warn my tourists to not ask for drinks with ice cubes. Of course, this depends on which countries you are spending your holidays in. Spain seems to be quite OK nowadays.
Interesting book on water therapy
From traditional folk-medical treatments to scientifically devised water-based therapies, you will find it all in this book. Illustrated and a step-by-step instructions will make it easy to use this book. You also get an A-to-Z list of specific therapies for hundreds of common ailments.
Check your drinking water
Contaminated ice can also be the case when making ice at home. The remedy for this is to use the utmost hygiene when preparing the water for making ice cubes. Always wash your hands before. In case your water is not good you might opt for a water filter so that the ice-cubes do not taste strange.
They have proven that ice-cold drinks can cause health issues, but what about bathing in ice-cold water? That seems to be very healthy as it strengthens your immune system. It is said to reduce stress. That is positive as our modern life is full of stress-causing situations. It makes you more alert as the cold forces you to breathe more deeply.
This decreases your CO2 and you can concentrate better. You will get more white blood cells in your blood which will fight diseases. I must say that for nearly 7 months a year, I do shower cold but in the winter; I take warm ones.
Let us get back to drinking water
1. There seem to be many benefits to consuming a drink of warm water instead of an ice-cold drink. It is said that drinking warm water provides pain relief against things like abdominal and menstrual cramps. It is a good idea to start your day with warm water and lemon juice as it will pep up your metabolism. This will help you burn more calories, something very welcome for most women.
2. Warm water is also good to flush undesirable compounds from your body, and it improves the elasticity of your skin. If you have constipation, which is a very common ailment as our man-made foods lack fiber, warm water helps with having regular bowel movements. There is hardly anything worse than feeling clogged and bloated.
3. The drinking of too cold or too hot fluids is not advised in Chinese Medicine. It all has to do with keeping the right balance of your body’s yin and yang. When there is an imbalance, you will get unpleasant symptoms, like depression, brain fog, bloating, sleeping badly, and more. When you think about it, these are things you often hear about. These symptoms can be easily avoided by eating clean food and having a healthy lifestyle in general.
Let’s have a look at why a hot bath might be good
Saunas and hot baths are healthy as many studies have shown. It helps circulation and vascular function. Having a nice hot bath in the evening will help you fall asleep quickly. A hot bath can also function as a treat. You had a hard week and now you want to pamper yourself. Some candles, nice bubbles, and perhaps a pleasant drink. Do not forget that taking a bath together saves water.
Do not miss watching this short but “cold” video. Quite amazing how this man got his health back. If you are interested in the Wim Hof Method, you can read about it here.
Drinking freezing water is definitely not beneficial, and on the other side drinking warm water is.
Taking cold showers or even sitting in an ice bath has positives, and warm baths can also help. There are pros and cons you should be informed about so you will remain happy and healthy.
I have made a special page for you. It holds a collection of things you could find interesting. Before you leave, visit Recommendations.
Source: The Alternative Daily, Susan Patterson, October 10, 2019
Photo Source: Pixabay
Water is of utmost importance in our lives, but do you know what water you are drinking? Being up to date on regulations in your place is not a bad idea. Your water might have undesirable additives and one of them is fluoride. Have a look at this post.